Monday, January 25, 2010

I ride. I write.

I ride. A bicycle. A red road bike.

I write. Mostly with a computer. I'm a Mac.

I ride because I enjoy it and it's about the only exercise my knees — at least, my right knee — will permit. A bike is less expensive than a pool.

I write because it is required (much of the time) and also because I enjoy it (some of the time).

I earn money with my writing. I would like to be able to earn money with my riding but I'm afraid it will never happen. Too old. Too slow.

This journal, or blog, or diary, or whatever you want to call it, is where my riding and my writing intersect.

I call it Bicycle Writing. Here's the plan...

I ride on as many days as my schedule allows. That's usually three or four times a week. I have ridden as many as six times in a week and as few as zero times. You can't get much fewer than zero times.

Every time I ride I will write.

I already keep a ride log -- miles, average speed, course, time, maximum speed, etc -- of each ride I make. Been doing that for years.

This will be my ride blog.

I rode a lot last year. I was motivated for reasons I might get into later.

I plan to ride even more this year but spread those rides more evenly through the course of the year.

Last year, 2009, I really didn't get into a serious riding routine until June. From June 1 through early December, I rode three or four times, sometimes five and even six times, each week. A total of 84 rides in the second half of the year. More than 2,640 miles.

From January to June 2009 I rode a total of one time and that was on New Year's Day. Shameful.

So this year I am planning to ride more frequently but that really only means getting into a riding groove much earlier in the year.

So far in January? Three rides. That's not good enough. Short days and cold air are my enemies.

I live in southeastern Arizona so it's certainly not lung-freezing cold. Still, when on a bike saddle, there is the continuous wind chill to consider. But I have lights and my balaclava so that leaves me without excuse. I will do better. I am hoping this riding journal provides an extra measure of motivation.

I rode today so it must be working.

TODAY'S RIDE...
27.5 miles
From home to Bryce, Arizona and back
1 hour 42 minutes
No wind, 55 degrees (until the sun went down)

MY OTHER RIDES SO FAR IN JANUARY...
January 6
23.5 miles
Bryce-Pima loop
1 hour 34 minutes
Cold with some wind

January 14
25.5 miles
To Bryce and back
1 hour 45 minutes
Windy on the return ride

This is a long post. I will try to keep them shorter in the future. The idea is to log my rides and share some thoughts I had while riding through the cotton fields and deserts of southeastern Arizona.

Good riding to you.


8 comments:

  1. cool blog! I was going to sleep in tomorrow but instead you've motivated me to get up and swim in palm-frond infested waters. Maybe some of your motivation could help the Phoenix Suns also. Life can't get much worse on a night when they lose to the Jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT blog and brilliant concept! I love the writing/riding play on words -- how nice of the English language to cooperate with your concept :) It will be interesting to see the ripple effect of your project -- like Spencer, I am now motivated to get up from my morning email indulgence and go get on my treadmill before my 9:00 class -- you have started a movement, Kim! I am proud of you!! -Christie

    ReplyDelete
  3. or uncle spencer (and jake) life can't get much better then like the nights the suns lose to the jazz (this is from Ethan ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job dad - what you need is another race or road riding project. Maybe you should ride down the cali coast? I always go out and do when I have that 'race' in the back of my mind that I know I have to be in shape for...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ride on! Write on! Right on!
    2010 rocks!
    Love,
    Meg
    Sister, stranger
    Still have your Christmas present on my desk to mail off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea dad. I've been really wanting to get on my bike but we're going to have to have MUCH better weather before that happens. Guess I'll just stick with the treadmill till then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a bike (a new bike!) last June. I have ridden it twice and fallen off twice. I am now inspired to get on it again when the ice melts. I will go out into the country where no one knows me and try again. When I first got on the bike, I thought it would be like the old days, riding from Owyhee to Idaho and it wasn't. Somehow my center of gravity or something has shifted. Keep riding and writing, Kim. In these and other things, you are our example. Kathy

    ReplyDelete