Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Itinerant Dentist

Today's Ride
30.5 miles
Bryce - out & back
1 hour 51 minutes
67 degrees, no wind

I am posting this the morning after my ride so by "Today's Ride" I mean Wednesday evening.

I met an itinerant dentist on this evening's ride. He was also on his bicycle and, no, he wasn't carrying any dental instruments or portable x-ray machines.

But he was, for all practical purposes, an itinerant dentist. He recently owned a dental practice in a small community in Arizona's White Mountains but sold it a year or so ago. Since then, he's been doing his drilling and filling on a contract and part-time basis for such places as the Federal Penitentiary in Safford. He travels here every other week or so and keeps the convicts' teeth in good working order.

He also works out of various other dental offices on an as-needed and part-time basis. As I said, an itinerant dentist. Nice guy with a very nice bike. We may ride together on his future visits to our local penal colony.

I can feel the season beginning to change. The days are warming up and lengthening. We are plagued by strong spring winds here in eastern Arizona but they haven't kicked in yet, for which I am grateful. Hate riding in strong wind.

My work and a few other duties have been taking up my riding time in recent days. I feel so much better when I ride regularly that I must make it a priority. I'll soon make the transition to morning rides -- a great way to begin my days.

Good riding to you.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the v-day flowers dad - they were beautiful and made our day but i think made mom's day more

    ReplyDelete